Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Finally, Election Day is Here!

November 4th, a day that I have been looking forward to for a long time, is finally upon us! Even though I sent in my absentee ballot over a week ago, today is still exciting because there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel. We will actually know who the next president is soon, as long as there is no repeat of the 2000 Florida fiasco. It feels so awesome to have participated in one of the biggest elections in history.

G thinks that I cheated because I voted absentee instead of in person at my polling place, but I was afraid of the lines, which have been proven to be long. I also did not want to have to take time off work and I have school tonight, so voting absentee was my best option. I think as long as a person votes, whether in person or by mail, they should be applauded for voicing their opinion. Too many people get lazy or assume a candidate will win, which is why this country has such a low voter turnout. I think it is sad that people don't feel the need to vote, especially women who fought long and hard for the privilege. Hopefully voters will be inspired this election to keep going to the polls in subsequent elections after they see how powerful a vote truly is.

No comments: